GlavUpDK under the MFA of Russia has completed the restoration of a regional cultural heritage site, which was owned by merchant N. M. Potapov and hereditary honorary citizen O. N. Chizhova (3 Eropkinsky Lane, bldg 1).
Households have been located on this site since the 18th century. The mansion, which is now known to Muscovites and connoisseurs of architecture, dates back to 1905, when the site was acquired by merchant N. M. Potapov. He completely demolished the old wooden main building and erected a new two-storey stone building designed by military engineer I.N. Tulaev.
Soon the plot changed its owner – in 1909, it passed to hereditary honorary citizen O. N. Chizhova, who engaged architect B. N. Schnaubert to further work on the project. During this period, the layout of the building changed – now it included separate apartments for rent. A two-storey brick extension was built from the southeast side, and a stone porch appeared on the facade from the courtyard side. The house got an extension from the eastern side facade, and the semi-basement floor was arranged under the entire building area. O. N. Chizhova also completed the facade decor work started by the previous owner.
The exterior of the building is neoclassical with a slightly protruding risalit, which is crowned by an attic with turrets on its sides, decorated with panels and garlands in the form of wreaths. The window opening on the first floor is decorated with pilasters featuring sculptural consoles in the form of female heads, a frieze and a cornice. There are windows decorated with platbands, window sills and hood molds on both sides of the central axis.
This composition and architectural and artistic design, as well as the layout, have been preserved to this day.
After the October Revolution and until 1937, the building housed the orphanage of the Frunzensky District Department of Public Education in Moscow. The adjoining buildings were occupied by laundry and workshops.
In the 1940s, the building housed the residence of N. S. Khrushchev. During this period, two porches were added to the building with a fence of “pot-bellied” cast balusters. One of them, which had a large terrace, turned into a garden. At the south side of the house, a brick heating pipe with elements typical for monumental buildings of the 1940–1950s, adjoined the facade.
The entrance from the western side facade has been decorated with a portal in a pseudo-classical plaster frame, and the historical main entrance has been sealed up. The internal layout of the interiors has also changed – the neighboring household has been attached to the building.
The entire residence has been surrounded by a high blank stone fence with rustication and a uniform rhythm of semicircular arches. The existing metal gates with cast and forged decorative elements also date back to the time when the building was rebuilt and turned into a residence.
Since the 1970s, the building has housed the Embassy of the Kingdom of Thailand.
In 2004, GlavUpDK already repaired the mansion: the window frame has been replaced, the steps of the external entrance stairs have been repaired and replaced, and the wooden structures of the roof have been strengthened by prosthetics.
This year, GlavUpDK’s Major Projects Department has completed the restoration of the building facades and the roof. The cracks in the brickwork have been injected, the plaster layer of the facades and the plaster decor have been restored, and its lost elements have been recreated. In addition, using historical analogues, specialists have restored metal bars on the windows of the basement floor, the front granite ring with a balustrade and the balcony of the facade overlooking the courtyard. The elements of the truss system have been repaired and strengthened, and a steel roof has been installed on roof boarding. The chimneys have also been restored.
Finally, air conditioners have been moved from the main facade of the building, and decorative baskets have been installed on the outdoor units.