Faсade of the building on Lopukhinsky Lane erected almost two centuries ago to be restored by GlavUpDK

GlavUpDK under the MFA of Russia is restoring facades of the Residential House by architect N. Lazarev (1806, mid-19th century, 1910–1911), which is a cultural heritage site. Erected almost two centuries ago, the building is an outstanding example of a multi-stage building history. 

The house at 5/1 Lopukhinsky Lane dates back to 1804–1806. At that time, it was a three-story building, with a low mezzanine second floor and, most likely, was intended to accommodate retail shops, warehouses or used for industrial purposes. In addition, the building had a passage arch from the side of Lopukhinsky Lane, which was later closed.

In 1851, new owner A. F. Tolmacheva added a three-story stone structure to the house from the southeastern facade, leveling the height of the building and giving it an L-shape. In the same period, several stone structures for stairs and retreats were erected near the building. 

By that period, there were 4 large arched windows on the lower floor of the northwestern facade, now overlooking the courtyard and 11 rectangular windows resting on cantilevers and decorated with creped blades on the second floor. The building entablature had a crepe frieze with a profiled cornice with a large overhang. All elements including abutments, cantilevers, window sills, friezes panels, are typical for early eclectic architecture of the middle of the 19th century.

In 1910, Ya. A. Reck, a banker and an entrepreneur, the founder of one of the leading house-building companies, who had bought the house, became involved in rebuilding it. On the site of the north-eastern wing along Lopukhinsky Lane, a new revenue house was erected, and apartments were housed in the rest of the building, which by that time had already been connected to the sewer. 

The design of the facades also changed: from the side of Lopukhinsky Lane, new main entrances and lobbies were arranged, and the façades got neoclassical design by N. G. Lazarev. The side parts were decorated with ionic abutments, uniting two floors. The facade was decorated with parapets with balustrades and flowerpots recreated by GlavUpDK under the MFA of Russia during restoration in 2005, as well as neoclassical plaster moldings: wreaths, panels, palmettes, a bas-relief with an antique-inspired multi-figure composition. Metal canopies over the entrances, as well as door panels, were also preserved.

After the October Revolution, the building was a multipurpose one. From 1921 to 1935, it housed the Society of Former Political Prisoners and Exiled Settlers, the Museum of Siberian Hard Labor in Exile, the Museum of the Revolution and the publishing house of Katorga and Ssylka. Since the 1960s, the building has accommodated diplomatic missions, today it houses the Kenyan Embassy.

During the restoration work, GlavUpDK’s Major Projects Department supported by specialized contractor will completely restore the building facades.

For example, recent paint and finishing layers, as well as organic deposits, are to be removed. The plaster layer will be restored with a cement-lime composition similar to the original one, and the entire surface of the walls will be refinished using modern restoration materials. 

The facade architectural decor, primarily its northwestern part (1801–1851), which is not open to the general public today, will also undergo restoration. 

The drawn decor, including the cornices of the attics and side parapet walls and the parapet beam on the facade, the crowning cornice and architrave, the profiled window framing, the flat belt of the side avant-corps and the pylon rods, will be restored. In addition, plaster moldings (bas-relief over the doors of the main entrance, wreaths, cartouches, rosettes, garlands, palmettes and hood moulds, ionic cornices, ionic abutments, attic wall vases) will be repaired.

The facades, gate pylons and architectural details will be painted based on the original color scheme. In addition, the building will be adapted for modern use with fence and entrance gate repaired.


Unique mansions of Moscow